April 17, 2011

Pylon - assembling the axle

There are 3 parts to fit together. They have all been primed with Chaos Black, followed by a dry brush of Dwarf Bronze, and a light wash of Thraka Green.
 
So one of these:
 
 
And two of those:
 
 
First, I removed the extra paint so the glue bonds to the resin, and not the paint. A Dremel with appropriate bits helped here. An added advantage is that I got a rough surface, which makes for a stronger joint.
For an earlier pylon, I'd used blu-tack to mask the parts I did not want to paint, that works too.
 
 

 

 
 
The glue goes in the axle's groves, and the guides get prepped with a primer/accelerator (I use Filla-Glu and their very convenient Kicka-Pen).
 
 
In order not to get nasty surprises during the final assembly, I fit the pylon onto the axle while the glue dried.
 
 
One final note on pinning: tempting as it might be, do not pin. On an earlier pylon, I pinned where the arrows are in the picture below. All I got was a weaker piece, which snapped in two during my first game with it. I've stuck with just glue since, and haven't had a single problem.